Have you ever seen some people with grey hair at a very young age or are you also suffering from this strange situation? If yes then you should definitely go for this post as I am going to talk about premature grey hair and how to treat them. Premature grey hair can make you appear older than you really are! And it is usually not something that makes people happy.
we all know that” hair is the crowning beauty of a person” whether male or female, as I have already used this phrase in my previous hair care post also because I rely on this. So it is very necessary for us to take care of our hair so that they can look beautiful and attractive! Well, I am kind of lucky that I don’t have prematurely grey hair but there is one of my cousins, and she is only 18 and has much grey hair on her head. It looks terrible when her friends used to make fun of her because of these grey hair.
In my college days, I have seen many of my male friends also, with grey hair and other students tease them by saying you are getting old and all like that. I know it sounds funny somewhere but the person facing the situation doesn’t feel good at all. Many people face the same problem like this. So I am going to tell you how you can treat those grey hair at home but before going further let me tell you some reasons for these premature grey hair.
Major causes for premature grey hair:
Vitamin B-12 deficiency-
Grey hair at an early age can also indicate a vitamin B-12 deficiency. This vitamin plays an important role in your body. It gives you energy, plus it contributes to healthy hair growth and hair color.
A vitamin B-12 deficiency is associated with a condition called pernicious anemia, which is when your body can’t absorb enough of this vitamin. Your body needs vitamin B-12 for healthy red blood cells, which carry oxygen to cells in your body, including hair cells. A deficiency can weaken hair cells and affect melanin production and can cause premature grey hair.
Everyone deals with stress from time to time. The consequences of chronic stress can include: change in appetite, sleep problems, anxiety, and high blood pressure, etc. So stress can also be a reason for grey hair.
If you notice white hair at an early age, it’s likely that your parents or grandparents also had graying or white hair at an early age. Genetics sometimes can be a reason for your grey hair. Though you can not change the genetics, only you can do is to always color your hair whether by using artificial or natural colors.
An autoimmune disease can also cause premature white hair. This is when the body’s immune system attacks its own cells. In the case of alopecia and vitiligo, the immune system can attack hair and cause loss of pigment.
Low level of melanin-
There are also diseases that can make it more likely for younger people to turn grey earlier. Hair turns grey when the body has a low level of a chemical called melanin. Melanin is a pigment that causes your hair to be your natural color. However, this chemical slows down over time and as it cannot keep up your natural color. Your hair will begin to fade grey.
It’s well-known that smoking increases the risk of lung cancer and heart disease. The long-term effects, however, can go beyond the heart and lungs and affect hair. Smoking constricts blood vessels, which can reduce blood flow to hair follicles and cause hair loss. Additionally, toxins in cigarettes can damage parts of your body including your hair follicles, causing premature grey hair.
Sometimes, the usage of chemical-based shampoos, soaps, hair dyes, etc. may directly cause this problem. However, it can result from some allergic infections as well.
Home remedies for grey hair:
- Curry leaves help restore the melanin pigment in your hair follicles. It is also a rich source of vitamin B which is a vital hair growth and pigmentation vitamin.
- Take 1 medium bowl of curry leaves and 3 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Boil the curry leaves with coconut oil.
- Let the prepared oil to cool.
- Once it has cooled, strain the oil and massage it into your scalp and work it through the length of your hair.
- After massaging for about 15 minutes, leave the oil on for an additional 30 minutes. Alternatively, you can leave the oil in overnight.
- Wash off with a mild sulfate-free shampoo and finish with conditioner(boys can skip conditioner).
- Use this 2-3 times a week.
Amla and fenugreek seeds:
- Indian gooseberry or Amla is a rich source of Vitamin C and has been used in Ayurveda for all kinds of hair problems. Fenugreek or Methi seeds are full of several nutrients and the combination of these super ingredients not only prevents premature greying but also promotes hair growth.
- Take 3-4 dried Amla (Indian Gooseberries), fenugreek seeds(methi seeds) and 1 cup of coconut oil.
- Boil Amla with the coconut oil to make an oil solution.
- Let it cool, strain and then store in a jar and apply 2 tbsp(or according to your hair length) for each use.
- Now massage the oil in your scalp for 15 minutes and also on the length of your hair.
- Leave it for an additional 30 minutes or you can leave it overnight also.
- After that wash it with a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.
- Black Tea has caffeine which is loaded with anti-oxidants. While adding a natural dark hue to the hair, it stimulates hair growth and strengthens it giving it a shine.
- Take 2 tbsp of black tea, 1 cup of water, and 1 tsp of salt.
- Boil black tea with water until it is well brewed.
- Let it cool, strain and then transfer into a spray bottle.
- After washing your hair with shampoo and conditioner, spray the liquid all over your scalp and grey strands properly and let it dry.
- Use this 2-3 times a week on your hair.
Lemon for grey hair:
- Lemon contains vitamins B and C and is also a rich source of the mineral phosphorus. These are vital for the maintenance of the pigment cells in your hair follicles.
- Take 2 tsp of lemon juice and 2 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Mix the lemon juice with coconut oil and heat the mixture for a couple of seconds until it is slightly warm.
- Massage this mixture into your scalp and also on the length.
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild sulfate-free shampoo and finish with conditioner
Henna and coffee:
- The henna powder does not help reverse graying, it helps cover up the appearance of white hair by adding rich reddish tones to your hair. Ensure that you are using pure henna powder as some powders contain chemicals.
- Take 5 tbsp, 1 tbsp of instant coffee, and 1 cup of water.
- Brew the coffee in a cup of water.
- Slowly pour the brew into the henna powder, stirring as you do to avoid lumps.
- Apply this mixture onto your scalp and hair and leave it on for about 3-4 hours.
- Rinse with warm water and a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
(Also check the post Hair masks for silky and shiny hair)